xml-general mailing list archives

From "Ed Staub" <est...@mediaone.net>
Subject [Xerces2] Requirements list; 'Xerces2'?; cross-posting
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:55:52 GMT
If no one better-suited has volunteered to run the proposed requirements
list in the interim, I'll post an updated list tonight.

I'd like to get the list into HTML, to allow linking back to the mail
archive,
and onto the website (to reduce mail bandwidth).

I'd also like to get it into CVS (to preserve history).

Can I get a volunteer committer and a volunteer with website access who will
post these for me?

Do we have consensus on "Xerces2" as a name?
All of the very recent mail has been in favor.
Should someone actively poll the committers?

There are many proposed requirements.
Some are in conflict.
Some will never be implemented.
For the moment, it makes sense to just collect all the proposals.

But it seems sensible to winnow the list soon.
Otherwise, the effort will become really poorly defined.
Do people agree?
If so, how do we do it?
Here's a process proposal, based on what I've seen at W3C.

Break up requirements into logical groups.
Set a period of a week or to discuss each group.

	Midway in the period,
	take an early straw vote to see where people are at.

	At the end of the period,
	vote on an action item for each requirement in the group.

	In general, on requirements where there's no consensus
	at the end of the period, simply move on to the next group.

After we've gotten through everything once,

This process requires a facilitator, to lay out the groups, call the votes,
etc.

I think this discussion should probably move to(ONLY)
xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org., not general@xml.apache.org.  I'm going to
start posting just on xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org.  OK?

-Ed Staub