xml-general mailing list archives

From "Ed Staub" <est...@mediaone.net>
Subject RE: Microsoft XML stuff
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2000 01:29:30 GMT
Scott,
Thanks for the report from the front.
Can you elaborate on these?
I might have understood, or I might not have...

'"pull" model parser' - does this mean optimizing based on the schema?

ditto for "data-friendly DOM" - does this mean a schema-centric DOM?
or designed for large datasets?

How is XmlNavigator different from the selectNodes() method, which has been
in MSXML for over 2 years?

-Ed

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus [mailto:Scott_Boag@lotus.com]
Sent: Wednesday, July 12, 2000 3:46 PM
To: general@xml.apache.org
Subject: Microsoft XML stuff

BTW, as I sit here in the Microsoft Developers Conference, they are talking
about a "pull" model parser.   Something to think about.  They call this an
XmlReader.

They are also talking about a data-friendly DOM -- i.e. a DOM that is
friendly and specialized for data-shaped XML, i.e. the kind of XML you
might get from a database.

They also have an XmlNavigator, which is basically a NodeIterator that is a
"lens" onto the XML tree, using XPath.  This is similar or exactly what I
am doing in the XPath module in Xalan2.

Their latest XSLT architecture looks suspiciously like TrAX.  Probably a
good thing.  Note that they are defining a SAX (like) api for their parser.

-scott