xml-general mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: parser-next-gen goals, plan, and requirements
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2000 04:38:44 GMT
on 7/12/00 1:05 PM, Octav Chipara at ochipara@cse.unl.edu wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jul 2000, Arnaud Le Hors wrote:
>
>> Octav Chipara wrote:
>>>
>>> But I do not
>>> believe that W3C has to solve our problems. Unfortunately :-).
>>
>> You're wrong there. W3C is an industrial consortium, the goal of which
>> is to provide the industry with the standards it needs to let the Web
>> grow. Both IBM and Sun are active members of W3C, as a matter of fact
>> both James and I along with Andy Heninger are members of the DOM WG
>> itself, so we can easily bring up any issue we found with the DOM.
>

> It is nice to know that W3C has its hears everywhere. Maybe is my mistake
> for not being able to imagine such an organization very flexibile and able
> to take fast steps towards the achivement of a goal... Sorry ...

True enough... But any change to the DOM has to respect its requirements and
goals... Doing something like a lightweight single language based tree model
that doesn't do the things needed for editing and such (which are some of
the bigger parts of DOM) is a much different beast. I wouldn't compromise
the place where we are at with browsers and such to go after this other
problem domain. Hence my support of JDOM for the Java version of this design
space. In addition to my support of W3C DOM in it's problem space.

.duncan