xml-general mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 23:11:58 GMT
on 7/11/00 3:25 PM, Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus at Scott_Boag@lotus.com wrote:

>> I am willing to trade off some performance for clearly written code.
>
> I don't think I am.  Performance is too damned important in the XML
> world...

You're not going to get a diverse developer community built around code that
is too damned hard to read...

There are servers that perform faster than Apache, because after all,
perforance is imporant on the web. But, they aren't as flexible,
maintainable, and open -- nor are they backed by an open development
community that gives anybody the ability to get involved.

That's not to say that performance isn't a important requirement. It is. But
I'll trade *some* amount of that top end of performance (which, due to
benchmarks is typically only in specific cases *anyways*) for code clarity.

.duncan