xml-general mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: What name?
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 23:08:45 GMT
on 7/11/00 3:36 PM, Brett McLaughlin at brett.mclaughlin@lutris.com wrote:

> Still, I certainly didn't mean to assault IBM, and hope that it is
> clearer that it is the /perception/ I am more concerned with than the
> reality.

I'm probably the wrong person to mention this.. :) but hell, here goes. Sun
had this same problem with Tomcat. For the first few months, it seemed like
everyone thought that Tomcat was a Sun only thing.

Sam Ruby was one of the people that help bust Sun out of most of these
problems (sometimes by busting people publically when the perception got out
of line :). Most of the problems *were* those of perception. Quite a few
stemmed from people distrusting corporate paid people about anything.

One of the important events was when Sam actually became a release manager
for Tomcat. At that point the reality of the project being a community
project got a whole lot more real. Since that point, Tomcat has become
something of a community fed success.

.duncan