xml-general mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: parser-next-gen goals, plan, and requirements
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 22:58:46 GMT
on 7/11/00 3:28 PM, Brett McLaughlin at brett.mclaughlin@lutris.com wrote:

> Ask James what he got asked over and over at JavaOne, often the first
> questions.

It was amazing.... I tried not to roll my eyes after a while -- not because
I didn't think it was an appropriate question, more of a "oh my, let's see,
what was that response I gave a few hours ago -- here we go, cp
/dev/memory/jdom-answer /dev/mouth.. At least that was what was going on
inside my head :)

> I will be honest, though - if JDOM isn't supported at all, I can promise
> that we will pull large numbers of folks away - I have a 2nd edition of
> Java and XML that will sell lots (as the first one promotes JDOM and
> Xerces, I would have hoped to have people at least give credit there for
> my making attempts to encourage interaction), and JDOM has a strong
> following. Why make us choose between another, JDOM-supportable parser,
> and one that is not, esp. if you can use it or not use it as a module?

This last sentence is the important one. If DOM, DOM-ReadOnly, DOM-Deferred,
JDOM, and FOOTREEAPI are all equal status .jars, then it really shouldn't
matter -- as long as people are willing to put the time and effort into
building the tree producer, then by all means, let's encourage it.

.duncan