xml-general mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 20:19:35 GMT
on 7/10/00 11:00 PM, Jeffrey Rodriguez at jeffreyr_97@hotmail.com wrote:

> I am never uptight, It is just matter of my culture, I call people
> by their last name when I don't know them on a personal basis.

Well.. I'd bet you get uptight *sometimes*.. :) But, ok. I understand where
you're coming from so I won't read anything into it. Fair?

> Yes, James and I regret not having our community involved into this
> any sooner. I agree Apache isn't the place for cathedrals.

I'm glad to hear that.

> I never said anything about what you did ( Are we are little uptight
> here? :>) or how you did it.

Oh yeah. I was uptight there. Very much so. I felt kinda flattend by the
level of personal animosity and was looking at the world through colored
filters by that time. I hope that you will accept my apology for that.

> We are having the design discussion. I like design discussion and
> encourage other developer in our community besides, Sun employees and IBM
> employees to participate.

Excellent.

> I agree that we should discourage developers from relying upon internal
> Xerces APIs, but I disagree that we should not think about the other
> XML-APACHE and Xerces developer projects. We don't exist in isolation,
> we are a community. I hope you can agree that we should care about
> our users.

Oh definitly. It's for the users sake that I'd admonish them away from
Xerces internals so that they don't go kaput everytime something subtle
changes internally. It'd be for their sake that I'd push for making sure
that support for the big letter APIs is first class, and smoke tested
nightly. We can definitly agree on that. :)

I read your statement to say that we should maintain the internal APIs when
in fact you said just "depend on Xerces APIs". Subtle difference that leaves
the question of which do you mean?

But, getting the NG parser up and running with Xalan, Cocoon, FOP, Tomcat,
and Ant is a very major milestone in measuring its devlopment -- a critical
milestone in fact.

> James, I am extending my hand and lets work together.

Yes, let's.

.duncan