xml-general mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 05:06:26 GMT
on 7/10/00 9:25 PM, Arnaud Le Hors at lehors@jtcsv.com wrote:

> Simply because it hasn't really started yet. We've thought about it,
> discussed it internally, and stopped it to focus all our energy on
> implementing XML Schemas. This is a huge effort.

Your key problem in this paragraph is the word internally.

There's no such thing as internal in an Apache project. To keep things
internal is to disinvite and "dis" in general the community.

This is why I felt like I had to do something like start up a re-think of
the parser. It wasn't happening out in the open. Conversations with you guys
weren't working out. I was *discouraged*.

> We've never intended to start a competing project. And, the little we've
> got was committed to the repository, so it's hardly internal.

Neither did I -- I wanted to look at a next generation one. There's a
difference.

> Xerces is
> our only XML parser project. Everything we do is checked into the public
> CVS repository, so there really isn't anything we hide.

There's more to running an Apache project than Transparency of Code. The
license is step one. Accessibility to Code is step two. But there's so much
more than that to Open Development.

> I really think you did a very poor job at starting this, and if one has
> to be blamed for this mess it's only you. I think you would certainly
> benefit from a course on diplomacy. This being said, if we could move on
> to something more interesting and more constructive now that would be
> nice.

Whatever. I started a design discussion yesterday. I'll continue it
tommorrow. Everything else I say is just defending myself. From my
perspective you can't say anything without insulting me. We're even here.

.duncan