xml-general mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:47:55 GMT
on 7/10/00 9:21 PM, Jeffrey Rodriguez at jeffreyr_97@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi Mr. Davidson,

Call me James. No need to be that uptight.

> All this work was publicly available under cvs thought it was not
> announced in the mailing list.

And why not? Where's the community participation in that? Here's a key point
-- if you don't engage the entire community, then you'll always have a
cathedral. And Apache isn't the place for cathedrals.

Say what you will about what I did, my goal was to have the design
discussion here, not to present it as a done deal. Or even a well baked
idea. If you don't engage your community from the outset, it's really hard
to build a balanced community for the long term.

> There are also other issues that we need to think, our Xerces-j is
> not just a separate entity in the xml-apache group of projects. All
> other projects in this group have a dependency on our project. We need to
> think about the users of Xalan, XML-C, etc., and we also need
> to think about all the users of Xerces whose products depend on Xerces
> APIs.

I disagree. I think we need to focus on providing good implementations of
the SAX/DOM and other Apis. Creating a reliance upon an internal APIs
results in what we have right now where everytime you change something in
Xerces, you break everyone. I think that everyone who relies upon internal
Xerces APIs should be discouraged from doing so starting right now.
Otherwise you will always have a problem in supporting those APIs.

> I would like to said that I hope all this inflamatory discussions need
> to calm down. We all need to work together and should look beyond
> our personal prejudices for the good of our community and the future
> of Xerces.

I hope so too.

.duncan