xml-general mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 21:18:08 GMT
on 7/10/00 12:14 PM, Stefano Mazzocchi at stefano@apache.org wrote:

> 1) we forget about spinnaker
> 2) we create a new CVS branch under xml-xerces where Xerces2 should
> reside
> 3) in case, we create a xerces2-dev mail list

But stefano -- remember on Tomcat where the idea of saying *2 implied that
it was going to be the next version, when in fact there is no guarantee? How
many *2's would we have to live through.

Also, I disagree on working on a CVS branch. CVS branches are well suited to
evolutionary changes, but they constrict the possiblities of a full refactor
-- at least mentally, unless you work in a different package on a different
brach -- in which case you've got the equiv of a new workspace.

Maybe a new mailing list is ok, maybe not. I see as a problem the
segragation of the community if something like this were done. It's a group
of people that go off and come back saying "ta-da". If that's what people
here want to see though, fine. I'll roll with it.

.duncan