xml-general mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 05:41:06 GMT
on 7/9/00 5:57 PM, MITCHELL SOJDEHEI at msojdehei@hotmail.com wrote:

> Whatever happened to making things upgrade compatiable.  How can we so
> easily drop someone's good work that is not adequate for someone else's good
> work that again may not be adequate.

1) We're not dropping Xerces. I wouldn't ask to move Spinnaker to Xerces 2.0
until we have a working, functioning, parser that met its objectives. Until
then, or even if (because there's no guarantee that we'll even meet our
objectives, or that the community as a whole will accept it) it should be
considered by the user community to be irrelevant. Fluff. Not for prime time
use.

2) You do write to the SAX, DOM, or JDOM APIs, don't you? If so, moving to a
different parser shouldn't be hard at all. If you use internal APIs of a
parser, you should expect to change them if you move on. If you use an
intermediate API like JAXP, then it's very easy. As long as you are using
the industry standard APIs, then any change of parser should be easily done.

As a developer in this age, I wouldn't ever write to unpublished APIs --
whether on Windows, Macintosh, Java, a Web Server, or a XML parser. And
don't worry, Spinnaker will support SAX, DOM, and JDOM...

.duncan