xml-general mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <james.david...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2000 22:12:30 GMT
on 7/9/00 8:36 AM, Stefano Mazzocchi at stefano@apache.org wrote:

> Duncan placed "the XML team at Sun" and all good intentions were sinked
> by corporate shit. I was honestly surprised to see such a baby mistake
> from one that taught me so much about human resource management and
> diplomatic skills, but shit happens.

Yeah, looking at it, it's so freaking obvious that one misplaced sentance
can so screw something up. Bah. I do hope I've made it quite clear that this
wasn't something that Sun dreamed up, it was something that I dreamed up.
The Sun folks weren't even sure that it was a good idea when I started
talking about it on Wednesday (it was something that crystalized while
driving along the Oregon coast over the 4th of july weekend). :)

http://www.x180.com/rules -- now. :)

> Will Spinnaker be smaller, faster and more modular? Great, we'll use it.
> Will it sink? Great, we won't use it.

And you know what... I'm happy for the world to tell me in a while whether
or not we did the right thing. But let me have my chance.

> I've questioned myself many times: would have been possible to do JServ
> 1.0 without any revolution? I still don't believe so.

One thing I've noticed about the Apache process over the years, and of Open
Development in general is that there are critical times when talk is just
that: talk. At times, individuals just have to do -- and then see what the
outcome is. It gives focus.

.duncan