xml-general mailing list archives

From Arnaud Le Hors <leh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: parser-next-gen goals, plan, and requirements
Date Thu, 13 Jul 2000 00:46:08 GMT
Eric Hodges wrote:

> > The DOM doesn't deal with parsing at all for now, so I don't understand
> > what this is about.
>
> But there's the problem.  It makes them happy and it annoys me.  There isn't
> asingle solution that fits us both.

If by "them" you mean W3C, you're wrong again. It doesn't make anyone
happy, it's just the current state of affairs. Loading and saving is one
of the requirements of DOM Level 3 [1]

[1]

> No, but it means some people shouldn't use XML.

I completely agree with you. But I'm not too worried about that, this is
human nature. People need to push new things all the way to their limits
to test them out. Once this done, they usually opt for a more balanced
approach.

> And some people shouldn't use DOM.

I completely agree here too! For one thing, if you don't need a standard
API use your own.
On the other hand trying to establish a new standard API just because
you prefer writing "el = new Element(name)" rather than "el =
doc.createElement(name)" is pointless to me. The benefits of using an
industry standard API are far greater than the trouble. But, this is
only my opinion, others are free to think otherwise!

> I understand why it is the way it is.  I don't think it should be thrown
> away, but I don't think it's needed in all the places it's used.

I agree.

> So if someone asks for a DOM for embedded systems, will they consider that?

Why not? I can't give any guarantee obviously. But the W3C process
allows anyone to make requests and/or submissions. If enough members
think the idea is interesting it would definitely be considered.

> How about a DOM for Java only? Or a Smalltalk DOM?

As far as I know W3C never got such a request. I doubt members would
want to spend resources on these.

> I don't think they can add new standards as fast as I can ask for them.

I don't think either. Even though W3C is known in the industry to be a
place where things happen very fast. (even too fast sometimes ;-)