xml-general mailing list archives

From Arnaud Le Hors <leh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: What name?
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 18:20:43 GMT
Edwin Goei wrote:

> Yes, but as I understand it XML4J is based on the current Xerces code so
> isn't IBM paying people to work on Xerces to support their product?

Of course IBM is paying people to work on Xerces to get something out of
it! Isn't everybody here hoping to get something out of this?

> Sun is in a different situation.  They would like to put an XML parser in a
> future version of the JDK (Java Development Kit, Sun's product).  There is
> no constraint here that it must be based on the current Xerces code base.

Where did you get the idea that IBM has such a constraint? Have we
listed that as one of our requirements?? IBM products use SAX and DOM.
That's what standards are for.

> Part of my job is to help Sun get a parser into a future JDK

So, you're exactly in the same situation as we are. You're paid to work
on this in the interest of your company. And I don't see anything wrong
with that.

Listen, if really what IBM wanted was to have Xerces only be IBM's XML
parser, IBM wouldn't have started this project in the first place. XML4J
had already been made freely available, and it was already widely used.
IBM chose to start the Xerces project at Apache and to donate all of its
code to make it a truly Open Source project. In hope that we *all* could
benefit from it. So, stop looking for anything evil where there is none,
and let's move on (once for all) to making this valuable to everybody!