xml-general mailing list archives

From Brett McLaughlin <brett.mclaugh...@lutris.com>
Subject Re: parser-next-gen goals, plan, and requirements
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:07:32 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Donald Ball wrote:
> >
> > I'd like to see XPath and XInclude support built in to Xerces as
> > modules.
>
> +1 for XInclude and XBase (they do together), as well as a way to
> extract XLink information from the file, if found.
>
> -1 for XPath, it should belong to Xalan2

I'm actually in disagreement here - I know in JDOM, people want to be
able to look up nodes/elements/attributes using XPath. Additionally,
more and more APIs are using XPath outside of XSL/T. To include it as
part of Xalan forces users to get an entire jar to do that.
Additionally, based on Scott's reaction ;-), he wouldn't add in support
for XPath on JDOM. That's another reason. Still, I think users that know
XPath would love to do:

Element specific = root.getChild("foo/@bar='1'");

Not having to carry around XSL/T weight to do this is a major advantage,
and prepares us for the APIs that use XPath outside of just
transformations.

-Brett