xml-general mailing list archives

From Brett McLaughlin <brett.mclaugh...@lutris.com>
Subject Re: parser-next-gen goals, plan, and requirements
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 14:01:02 GMT

Jeffrey Rodriguez wrote:

> Hi Jason, Hi Brett,
>
> Yes, I think that we need a pluggable architecture that would allow:
>
> - pluggable components ( validators, XPath APIs, DOM like api, mini parser
> api.
> - configurability, so we get the set of tools required for the
>   job.
>
> I think this requirement are already in the list ( let us check).
>
> What are your toughts about an XPath implementation on JDOM. What

We were planning on having XPath in our 1.1 version, and already have
some folks working on that. I certainly would be willing to help in a
lower level XPath, at the parser level, or to throw any resources we
have to help on the new parser effort. It's unclear to me at this point
exactly where we would need to place the XPath module. If this is fairly
agreed upon:

                 DOM       SAX2      JDOM

                           CORE

Where the APIs sit on top of the core parser (I'm roughing things out,
obviously), it would mean that we would either

(1) have an XPath module specific to JDOM and one specific to DOM, each
sitting on the respective API. Of course, this is tough, as it kills
lots of reusability.

(2) Have an XPath module at the same "level" as the APIs. I can see how
this /might/ work, but I'm not sure how cleanly.

(3) Another idea is to have XPath sit above the CORE, talking with
internal APIs to the CORE, and have some sort of translation gateway for
both DOM and JDOM, allowing them to speak their respective APIs to the
XPath layer, and get results in their "native" API. Of course, when not
using XPath, JDOM and DOM can talk directly to the core.

What do you think?

> is the status of JDOM, last time I visit your site was just after
> your presentation at the Mountain View Java user's group back in
> April.

We're probably 30-60 days from a feature-complete, test drop. Then some
testing, and we're 1.0. We're about to release a beta 5, which I think
will be about 90% feature complete. There are still some issues to work
out with what methods are called, etc. - we would love to have as many
folks from Xerces as possible help us resolve those issues - lots
surround terminology (what does "content" mean? how is surrounding
whitespace handled, by what method names?). Hope that helps with a bit
of a status picture.

-Brett