xml-general mailing list archives

From Brett McLaughlin <brett.mclaugh...@lutris.com>
Subject Re: parser-next-gen goals, plan, and requirements
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 01:07:59 GMT

Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

> About the requirements. I've tried no less than 3 times to send a
> message out but it seems to always go into a black hole. (James, are you
> hiding somewhere in there deleting my messages as they go through? Just
> kidding! :-)
> Here I go again:
>
> At the minimum we need to have the same as Xerces 1. These are:
>
> Validating XML 1.0
> Namespaces
> SAX2
> DOM Level 2
> XML Schemas

Is SAX 1 support worth including? I'm -0, but not sure. Since we are
talking size, you could simply implement SAX2, and include ParserAdapter
and call it SAX 1.0. Any opinions? Not a huge deal, but as long as we're
laying out requirements...

> In addition, I guess it's a given that we all want:
>
> Modularity, meaning that one should be able to have a jar containing the
> bare minimum XML parser for instance.

I think it's worthwhile to drill into what this means. What exactly is
"the bare minimum XML parser?" Does that mean it just parses XML? Does
it output events (SAX)? What kind of APIs should we expose?

> Also, performance should be the best-of-breed ACROSS ALL JIT's (not just
> Hotspot).

This is fair - we do need to make a decision on 1.1 JVM's. Personally, I
don't think we need support - in other words, I'm for WeakReferences and
Collections, because they (a) make things easier to understand and (b)
could possibly really help with performance and memory. I agree with
James Xerces 1.x is great for 1.1.

> What else?
>
> Who's keeping track of the requirements that we come up with? We should
> make this as open as possible at this point, have someone make a
> compilation, and have a discussion on what we agree on.

It might be nice, at a minimum, to have a web page at Xerces with an
ongoing list. It can be rough and ugly, but at least we can all wake up
and see that condensed instead of missing something reading through 100
mails in the wee hours...

> (Hint: this is an opportunity for someone new to volunteer. Please,
> don't make me do it, it would end up being labeled as "IBM's
> requirements" ;-)

Oh, how I'd love to volunteer here... Just too freakin' busy. I wonder
if there is any tool at collab.net or somewhere similar that does
requirements tracking? (Jason, are you listening? Anything here?) It
would be great for newcomers to be able to see these, and for us to be
able to "check them off" as we meet them.

-Brett