xml-general mailing list archives

From Arnaud Le Hors <leh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: parser-next-gen goals, plan, and requirements
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 00:49:04 GMT
About the requirements. I've tried no less than 3 times to send a
message out but it seems to always go into a black hole. (James, are you
hiding somewhere in there deleting my messages as they go through? Just
kidding! :-)
Here I go again:

At the minimum we need to have the same as Xerces 1. These are:

Validating XML 1.0
Namespaces
SAX2
DOM Level 2
XML Schemas

In addition, I guess it's a given that we all want:

Modularity, meaning that one should be able to have a jar containing the
bare minimum XML parser for instance.

Also, performance should be the best-of-breed ACROSS ALL JIT's (not just
Hotspot).

What else?

Who's keeping track of the requirements that we come up with? We should
make this as open as possible at this point, have someone make a
compilation, and have a discussion on what we agree on.

(Hint: this is an opportunity for someone new to volunteer. Please,
don't make me do it, it would end up being labeled as "IBM's
requirements" ;-)