xml-general mailing list archives

From Arnaud Le Hors <leh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 23:59:59 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> This is the problem: you guys work in the same building.
>
> When Pier and I worked on JServ 1.0 we lived on the phone and the
> community didn't know _why_ we were doing things. It made them feel very
> bad and slowed down the community by order of magnitudes.
>
> Here, you are doing the same mistake.
>
> A single two line email like: hey, look a the new branch and comment our
> ideas on a Xerces next generation.
>
> That's it, simple enoung, everybody would be happy.

Yes, we've had "internal" discussions. Hell, we work next to each other,
we have lunch together, are we suppose to only talk about what the
weather is like?? But our discussions aren't more internal than James'
discussions with Ted or the ones he said he had with the XML team at
Sun.
This said, I agree with you, we've failed to keep the list posted. I
believe the only reason is that we've always felt like we were the only
ones to care. We should have posted to the list anyway, just to prevent
what's going on. Well, we can't rewrite history...

> Damn, people, the Sun and IBM Cupertino buildings are just a couple of
> blocks away and I have to tell you from the other side of the planet how
> to communicate?

I've actually met with them at least once. And I must say that I got
quite disappointed. We made many proposals on how to get them more
involved. But they weren't responsive at all. All we got was the feeling
that weren't really committed to this project and we had to keep doing
all the work to keep this project moving. It looks like there are
committed now. They've sent more messages in the last two days in the
last year altogether! That's great! Let's use this new energy to make
Xerces even better.