xml-general mailing list archives

From Arnaud Le Hors <leh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: What name?
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:57:57 GMT
Brett,
I can't believe you're dragging this back into a Sun vs IBM thing. It is
true that most comitters have been IBMers so far. But this happened
despite the fact we've been trying repeatedly to get the Sun folks to
join us. Besides, Sun has made many public announcements that they
support Xerces. At the same time, we've all made it very clear in many
occasions that this was not IBM's parser, nor Sun's, but Apache's. This
was stated again at the XML Apache BOF we had at JavaOne.

So, PLEASE get over it!!...

Obviously I disagree with you on what you said about the name Xerces.
Xerces is a recognized name and I believe there are more benefits in
sticking to it than not. Otherwise, why would you want to call it Xerces
any time?? I don't buy any of your arguments about people being scared
simply by the name, and I don't see why we could explain to people how
different the new one is after rather than before. It's only a matter of
communication. Feel free to spread the words.