xml-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [XRI] Xerces Refactoring Initiative
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:33:04 GMT
"N. Sean Timm" wrote:

> From: <rubys@us.ibm.com>
> > 1) Where should the design discussion take place?
> xerces-j-dev list.  Any particular subject may peak the interest of someone
> who isn't involved with the proposal development to bring more ideas into
> the picture and/or further collaboration efforts between Xerces and those
> working on the proposed replacement.

+1

> > 2) Where should the design artifacts be placed?  When will they get there?
> xml-xerces/java/proposals/[codename]/docs

what's wrong with CVS branches, damn it? can you type "-r xerces2"?

We are doing Cocoon1 on the main trunch and Cocoon2 on a branch.
Everybody is happy with that, why should you differ?

> > 3) Where should the code be developed?
> xml-xerces/java/proposals/[codename]/src
> >

> If James is satisfied that the Xerces teams goals are aligned with what he
> is trying to accomplish (or close, at least), then "spinnaker" is as good a
> codename as any, but I definitely *don't* think it should be called Xerces2
> or anything like that.  Let that be decided based on its merits.

Ok, I agree with all this "anti xerces2" points.

Here is the virtual PR:

"The Apache XML community started a "refactoring initiative" to create
next generation XML parser for Java. This will be known as "codename
Spinnaker" (or simply spinnaker) and will be the collective design
whiteboard where the worldwide Apache community of individuals will
openly develop such new XML parser. The final result of this RI will be
determined when "final" status is reached and, as always, decided by the
community."

Is everybody happy with this?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.