xml-general mailing list archives

From Arnaud Le Hors <leh...@jtcsv.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:25:05 GMT
James Duncan Davidson wrote:
> on 7/10/00 6:41 PM, Arnaud Le Hors at lehors@us.ibm.com wrote:
> > Sounds great! The fact is that we're also interested in a new version of
> > Xerces which is more modular. As a matter of fact, we've given it quite
> > some thoughts already, and Andy has even written down a first draft of a
> > design document on it that we'll be happy to send out as input.
> So why hasn't this been public?

Simply because it hasn't really started yet. We've thought about it,
discussed it internally, and stopped it to focus all our energy on
implementing XML Schemas. This is a huge effort.

> Why did I have to take a hammer to start a
> discussion about next versions?

What makes you think what you did was the only way to get it started?
Would you have simply asked for it, it would have started. Mind you.

> Why are your own developers aksing "Why
> should we start a new look?"

That's what you get from presenting so poorly an idea as simple as
working on a new version of an existing project.

> Now I'm really confused. :)

Well, that's only a fair return I guess.

> Why aim all guns at me and bash me when you've been talking internally about
> a new version for a while?

We've never intended to start a competing project. And, the little we've
got was committed to the repository, so it's hardly internal. Xerces is
our only XML parser project. Everything we do is checked into the public
CVS repository, so there really isn't anything we hide.

I really think you did a very poor job at starting this, and if one has
to be blamed for this mess it's only you. I think you would certainly
benefit from a course on diplomacy. This being said, if we could move on
to something more interesting and more constructive now that would be

Thank you.

By the way, I would appreciate that you stay polite from now on. I would
hope I could disagree without being insulted.