xml-general mailing list archives

From Arnaud Le Hors <leh...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 01:41:05 GMT
Stefano Mazzochi wrote:

> So, let me start off another option:
>
> 1) we forget about spinnaker
> 2) we create a new CVS branch under xml-xerces where Xerces2 should
> reside
> 3) in case, we create a xerces2-dev mail list
>

> What do you think?

Sounds great! The fact is that we're also interested in a new version of
Xerces which is more modular. As a matter of fact, we've given it quite
some thoughts already, and Andy has even written down a first draft of a
design document on it that we'll be happy to send out as input.

We don't think the current model is perfect. We refer to it as "the star
model". Basically
every piece knows about the others and the flow of information is far
from being linear. Instead, we're thinking of a pipeline model. Where
every piece works as a box with an input and output stream working
independently of the others. It will be hard to make this as efficient
as the current parser. But this, among other things, would let one to
easily plugin the validator or not.

As you can see this appears to be very much in line with what James
seems to be looking for! So, lets talk about it.

Despite what some people seem to believe we don't have any problem with
Sun participating into that. On the contrary, we're happy to see Sun
committing resources to the Xerces project!

We first need to discuss the requirements though, I'll follow up on this
on the xerces-j list.