xml-general mailing list archives

From "HERRICK, CHUCK (SBCSI)" <CH6...@momail.sbc.com>
Subject RE: What name?
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 23:57:29 GMT
OK, you're wrong. Stand corrected.

Xerces is not an IBM product. It's an Apache product.

If you want an IBM product, go get IBM4J. It's still
available at the IBM Alphaworks site.

-----Original Message-----
From: Edwin Goei [mailto:Edwin.Goei@eng.sun.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 6:52 PM
To: general@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: What name?

"Arnaud Le Hors" <lehors@us.ibm.com> writes:
> Brett,
> I can't believe you're dragging this back into a Sun vs IBM thing. It is
> true that most comitters have been IBMers so far. But this happened
> despite the fact we've been trying repeatedly to get the Sun folks to
> join us.

I'm assuming you're referring to me as one of the "Sun folks".  As I've said
previously my major objection to working on the current Xerces code is that
it is in general difficult to understand.  I would much rather work on a
different code base such as Aelfred2 or Crimson or better, this new parser
(spinnaker).  I was not hired to specifically work on Xerces and so I have
chosen not to.  Maybe it's different for people working at IBM Cupertino
that are specifically hired to work on Xerces because it is also an IBM
product.  I'm guessing here, correct me if I'm wrong.

> Besides, Sun has made many public announcements that they
> support Xerces.

I don't have enough info on this.  I know in the past different people in
Sun have made mistakes about such announcements.  Sun is a large company and
sometimes the left hand doesn't always know what the right is doing.

> At the same time, we've all made it very clear in many
> occasions that this was not IBM's parser, nor Sun's, but Apache's. This
> was stated again at the XML Apache BOF we had at JavaOne.

Fine.  I think we are starting to get more participation with this new
parser project.  I certainly would like to participate.

-Edwin