xml-general mailing list archives

From "HERRICK, CHUCK (SBCSI)" <CH6...@momail.sbc.com>
Subject RE: What name?
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 22:29:43 GMT
Folks,
Let's get back to making Xerces (2) better.

	thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Brett McLaughlin [mailto:brett.mclaughlin@lutris.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 11, 2000 5:23 PM
To: general@xml.apache.org
Subject: Re: What name?

Brett McLaughlin wrote:
> Joe Polastre wrote:
>
> From: "Brett McLaughlin" <brett.mclaughlin@lutris.com>
> > I just think that the name "Xerces" carries with it some negative
> > connotations for /some/ people. I'm not making this up, I swear ;-) I
> > get mails about this a lot on JDOM and at Enhydra. Let's just avoid that
> > - then when we make it Xerces 2 (if that is what happens), we can clear
> > those all away, because people are confident in the newer "code name."
>
> And some people are _uncomfortable_ with the "Spinnaker" name.  [I'm
> personally a fan of the old software corporation, 'spinnaker', that made
> quality games for systems like the commodore 64]  many other companies use
> the word "spinnaker" [as noted by the 46,598 results at google, for
> example].  why not choose something completely new and unoffensive =)
> something unique.

Oh sure - any codename if fine, is what I am saying ;-)

> In honor of the bazaar structure that so many people are touting, why are
we
> allowing one person to codename this branch?  shouldn't it be a group
effort
> here?  (yes, I read that James has offered to give up naming the new
branch)

> > OK, Joe Blow just joined us at IBM, can we get some +1s.
>
> You are probably referring to me (my name is Joe, right?).  I had been

Actually, not at all - sorry about that!

> involved with the Xerces-C project for quite a while (assisted in porting
it
> to wince, other stuff last summer) and just happened to join IBM in late
> may.  My contributions were noted in the CVS repository and I received 5
> +1s, two or three of which were outside of IBM.  And trust me, I had to
> fight with both Dirk and Brian to get my privs.

That's great. But I will still maintain that the /appearance/ was
otherwise. In other Apache projects, multiple patches would have to
occur, publicly, for that committer status to ever be obtained. I didn't
see those patches (which doesn't mean they didn't exist!). Another thing
that could have happened is that you may have made changes, that got
introduced by other IBMers, without ever seeing the patches on the
public lists. So again, while you may have earned the privs, it didn't
look that way - just perception I'm talking here, certainly nothing
against you or other IBM folks personally ;-)

> In the last 3 months, only 2 people that I know of from IBM Cupertino have
> received commit privs.  Me on Xerces-C and Jordan on FOP.  And both of us
> demonstrated our commitment to the projects as "individuals" [seems to be
> the buzz word these days].  Furthermore, both of us are going back to the
> world of academia in september, and both of us intend to continue
> contributing to the apache project as students (non-IBM employees).  Heck,

That's terrific. I look forward to seeing your patches.

> who knows, I might actually decide to write some Java code too instead of
> just C++! =)
>
> I agree that the situation you describe *has* occurred, but you make it
seem
> commonplace... which I'm arguing that it is not.  Likewise, sun (or any
> other corporate sponsor of the project) which has 3 committers can
> essentially vote anyone else in.  And other committers, if warranted,
could

Can and do aren't the same ;-)  I haven't seen that happen. I have seen
what looks like IBM helping ensure dominance. The court of public
opinion can be a sticky thing!

> have -1'd any IBM'ers that they didn't feel comfortable with in the
project
> due to lack of demonstrating commitment.
>
> sorry, that's my rant for today...  feel free to flame... grrr...

Not at all! I certainly want to emphasize that I don't fault anyone's
competence, or even what happened - I fault the appearance of the way
things happened, because they contributed to the overall feeling of IBM
running Xerces. This perception, I think you can at least acknowledge,
if not agree with. I'm simply saying we can do things to lessen that
perspective - and the cost is things like not using Xerces 2 as a name.
Is that really such a big deal? If it isn't let's just get on with it!

-Brett

> -Joe
> (on behalf of myself)

Brett McLaughlin, Enhydra Strategist