xml-general mailing list archives

From Arved Sandstrom <Arved...@chebucto.ns.ca>
Subject Re: design docs and diagrams
Date Sun, 09 Jul 2000 23:56:41 GMT
This was very interesting, as I have used xfig myself (although not
recently), and never thought of it. I went and did a Google search and
located "Universal Modeling Language Library for Xfig"

http://epb1.lbl.gov/xfig/libraries/UML/index.html

which looks like it might fit the bill. I suspect that this would be our
closest *UNIX counterpart to Visio.

At 12:55 PM 7/9/00 -0400, Guy Hulbert wrote:
> [ SNIPPAGE ]
>RJP> I think there are other factors which do more to discourage the use of
>RJP> these diagrams in open-source projects. After all, I use Rose, Visio,
>RJP> etc. to produce a diagram in a standard graphic format (GIF, EPS, ...)
>RJP> which I then use in documentation or communication.
>
>Unless you need anything more than templates and pictures (if all you need is
>a "diagram") then Xfig is fine.  I thought that some of these commercial
tools
>also were useful for code generation etc.

I agree; for straight diagrams having templates is sufficient.

The commercial tools offer reverse and/or round-trip engineering, which I
use with caution. However, this can be extremely useful. I recently imported
the latest FOP into Together/J, and plan to start uploading the resulting
class diagrams to FOP CVS. The alternative would have been painful. :-)

One thing that even Visio has, is some built-in UML intelligence. Once
classes are defined, it is useful to be able to call up a list of available
methods when drawing a method invocation in a dynamic diagram, for example.
This helps maintain consistency across diagrams. I suspect that Xfig with
the UML library probably doesn't do this, so the onus is on the
illustrator-developer.

>The fig format is pure text, extremely simple and well-documented and a free
>UML tool that used this format would probably not be too hard to create and
>would have the added bonus that the diagrams would be loaded into Xfig for
>editing etc.
>
>	<snip>
>
>----
>Guy Hulbert, Informatics Director	Bioinformatics Supercomputing Centre
>(416) 813-8876				555 University Avenue
>email: guy@bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca	The Hospital for Sick Children
>http:  www.bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca	Toronto, ON, M5G 1X8, CANADA.

Senior Developer
e-plicity.com (www.e-plicity.com)
Halifax, Nova Scotia
"B2B Wireless in Canada's Ocean Playground"