xml-general mailing list archives

From "Jeffrey Rodriguez" <jeffreyr...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: parser-next-gen goals, plan, and requirements
Date Fri, 14 Jul 2000 16:40:14 GMT

> > > Wild-eyed suggestion: why not look into adopting James Clark's XT?
>It's
> > > a pretty #!%@^#@ good parser IMHO.  Also it's from neither IBM or Sun
>:)
> >
> > Yup, I think it's worth looking at the internals of XP also (you
>probably
> > meant XP), I just haven't done it yet.  Maybe other people who have can
> > comment.  It looks like an older parser which hasn't been updated.
>There's
> > also the parser that you wrote, Lark, which you might want to comment
>on.
> >
> > The other parser I have looked at is Aelfred2 which is a current SAX2
>based
> > parser.  I think its easier to understand than the current Xerces code,
>but
> > it also does less.  But maybe we're still in the requirements stage
>right
> > now and these are more implementation details.

I think that we should look at existing XML parser technology:
Xerces j, James's clark, Aelfred2, Microsoft's, Crimsom, etc. in order to
get the best ideas and practices.

We should look at getting user's requirements. Maybe somebody could
volunteer with a questionaire that we can distribute among existing
Xerces users. The idea is so that we can prioritize our requirements
and also hear new requirements that we may have overlooked.

Would like to see also ideas from Academia user, curious, students, etc, new
and fresher ideas.

I think that we have a great opportunity to really make a difference.

>+1 on making
>
>  Xerces2 = Xerces1 ideas + Crimson ideas + XP ideas

A +1 here too.

>I'm sure James Clark has _lots_ of design decisions to share on parsers.

That's a given.