xml-general mailing list archives

From "Jeffrey Rodriguez" <jeffreyr...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 06:00:06 GMT
Hi James,

>Call me James. No need to be that uptight.

I am never uptight, It is just matter of my culture, I call people
by their last name when I don't know them on a personal basis.

> > All this work was publicly available under cvs thought it was not
> > announced in the mailing list.
>
>And why not? Where's the community participation in that? Here's a key
>point
>-- if you don't engage the entire community, then you'll always have a
>cathedral. And Apache isn't the place for cathedrals.

Yes, James and I regret not having our community involved into this
any sooner. I agree Apache isn't the place for cathedrals.

>Say what you will about what I did, my goal was to have the design
>discussion here, not to present it as a done deal. Or even a well baked
>idea. If you don't engage your community from the outset, it's really

I never said anything about what you did ( Are we are little uptight
here? :>) or how you did it.

We are having the design discussion. I like design discussion and
encourage other developer in our community besides, Sun employees and IBM
employees to participate.

> > There are also other issues that we need to think, our Xerces-j is
> > not just a separate entity in the xml-apache group of projects. All
> > other projects in this group have a dependency on our project. We need
> > think about the users of Xalan, XML-C, etc., and we also need
> > to think about all the users of Xerces whose products depend on Xerces
> > APIs.
>
>I disagree. I think we need to focus on providing good implementations of
>the SAX/DOM and other Apis. Creating a reliance upon an internal APIs
>results in what we have right now where everytime you change something in
>Xerces, you break everyone. I think that everyone who relies upon internal
>Xerces APIs should be discouraged from doing so starting right now.
>Otherwise you will always have a problem in s

I agree that we should discourage developers from relying upon internal
Xerces APIs, but I disagree that we should not think about the other
XML-APACHE and Xerces developer projects. We don't exist in isolation,
we are a community. I hope you can agree that we should care about
our users.

> > I would like to said that I hope all this inflamatory discussions need
> > to calm down. We all need to work together and should look beyond
> > our personal prejudices for the good of our community and the future
> > of Xerces.
>
>I hope so too.

James, I am extending my hand and lets work together.

Thanks,
            Jeffrey Rodriguez
            IBM Silicon Valley