xml-general mailing list archives

From "Edwin Goei" <Edwin.G...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 02:13:38 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Arnaud Le Hors" <lehors@us.ibm.com>
To: <general@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, July 10, 2000 6:41 PM
Subject: Re: [spinnaker] Announce

> Sounds great! The fact is that we're also interested in a new version of
> Xerces which is more modular. As a matter of fact, we've given it quite
> some thoughts already, and Andy has even written down a first draft of a
> design document on it that we'll be happy to send out as input.

Yes, I've looked at the xerces_j_2 branch or at least what is currently in
the repository which is about 1 month old.  Someone told me of its
existance, I think I would have prefered if this was discussed on the list
rather than in private.  It looks like the start of a new parser from the
parts that I understand.  I haven't quite figured out the validation package
yet.  The design document would be useful.  Please post a reference to it.
This could be a useful start as a basis for the new Spinnaker tree.

> We don't think the current model is perfect. We refer to it as "the star
> model". Basically
> every piece knows about the others and the flow of information is far
> from being linear. Instead, we're thinking of a pipeline model. Where
> every piece works as a box with an input and output stream working
> independently of the others. It will be hard to make this as efficient
> as the current parser. But this, among other things, would let one to
> easily plugin the validator or not.

This sounds like the architecture of Aelfred2 where validation is added as a
layer on top of SAX2.

> As you can see this appears to be very much in line with what James
> seems to be looking for! So, lets talk about it.
>
> Despite what some people seem to believe we don't have any problem with
> Sun participating into that. On the contrary, we're happy to see Sun
> committing resources to the Xerces project!

Glad to hear it.

-Edwin