xml-general mailing list archives

From "Edwin Goei" <Edwin.G...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 19:10:43 GMT
"Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_Boag@lotus.com> writes:

> >> I'm not trying to take the piss out of anyone here, as the British say.
> It's
> >> just that I've had a heightened level of sensitivity to all of this
ever
> >> since I saw that Sun produced an XSL processor. Why did they have to
> bother,
> >> I ask? Were we actually lacking for decent XSLT implementations?
> >
> > Quite honestly, I asked the same thing. Just so you know, it was
produced
> by
> > a different part of Sun that I have no relation or connection to. It was
> an
> > engineer trying to take a new approach to the problem of XSLT.
>
> Here's my problem: though I've asked many times, the Sun engineers who are
> doing the XSLT processor haven't bothered to talk to the Xalan folk.  They
> rolled this interesting implementation, then made a press announcement
that
> they were going to donate it to Apache.  Why not talk to us about the
> possibilities of collaboration first?  Out of the gate, it is a
competative
> situation, instead of a collaborative one.

The info I have on xsltc is that it was done in a different group of Sun and
on the opposite coast of the US from where I work.  I've never talked to the
people working on it.  My guess is that they were working on this technology
in some lab and when it came time to get it out for people to use, they then
had to decide how to do it.  And since open source is the buzz word these
days, that is what management decided on.  Also, as I understand it the
reference to Apache may have been an error.  Duncan can probably shed more
light on this.

-Edwin