xml-general mailing list archives

From "Edwin Goei" <Edwin.G...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Mon, 10 Jul 2000 17:35:39 GMT
> The problem is not about Sun vs IBM. It is not about corporate vs
> individuals. Not about creating a new project. Not about working on
> week-ends. Not about questioning the current goals or implementation.
> The problem is about making decision on your own. Not communicating. Not
> consulting others in the project.

I thought that Duncan was communicating by making an announcement and
starting a discussion on a _possible_ future version of Xerces.  Isn't email
the way things get communcated in Apache?  What's the alternative?

> Simply from a practical point of view, James way of starting this off
> was plain wrong. The best way to get people to buy into a decision is to
> let them take part of the decision process. On the other hand pissing
> off those that are most comitted to the project is certainly not the
> best way to get them to help in the new project. Just a fact.

Yes, I realize that some people will be PO-ed.  I think Stefano earlier made
some great comments about how this happened in other Apache projects like
JServ and how things worked out better in the end in
http://xml-archive.webweaving.org/xml-archive-general/2103.html.

I realize that there is a tendency for people to think that just because
people work for the same company they have the same opinions on things.
This has not been my experience.  Differences of opinion happen internal to
companies as well.  In companies, there is a managment/engineering heirarchy
that makes the decision, while at Apache some other method has to be used:
voting among committers.

-Edwin