xml-general mailing list archives

From "Edwin Goei" <Edwin.G...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: [spinnaker] Announce
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:04:56 GMT
> James Duncan Davidson wrote:
> >
> > So why hasn't this been public?
>
> Simply because it hasn't really started yet. We've thought about it,
> discussed it internally, and stopped it to focus all our energy on
> implementing XML Schemas. This is a huge effort.

I would have prefered to have it discussed externally in the open so I could
participate.

> > Why are your own developers aksing "Why
> > should we start a new look?"
>
> That's what you get from presenting so poorly an idea as simple as
> working on a new version of an existing project.

He's not proposing a new version but a new design for a next generation
parser -- OK well maybe you could call that a major version.

> > Now I'm really confused. :)
>
> Well, that's only a fair return I guess.
>
> > Why aim all guns at me and bash me when you've been talking internally
about
> > a new version for a while?
>
> We've never intended to start a competing project. And, the little we've
> got was committed to the repository, so it's hardly internal. Xerces is
> our only XML parser project. Everything we do is checked into the public
> CVS repository, so there really isn't anything we hide.

But, no one knows about it.  As far as I can tell all the design has been
internal and nothing has been discussed on any of the lists.

> I really think you did a very poor job at starting this, and if one has
> to be blamed for this mess it's only you. I think you would certainly
> benefit from a course on diplomacy. This being said, if we could move on
> to something more interesting and more constructive now that would be
> nice.

I'm here reading all these messages.  I don't think Duncan is to blame.
He's the guy that dared to send out the first email to discuss these issues
and so he's the one being attacked.  People like me aren't as courageous
although we share some of the same issues.

> By the way, I would appreciate that you stay polite from now on. I would
> hope I could disagree without being insulted.

I did not preceive any comments as being insults based on what I see on the
list.

I've got a meeting now, so I'll respond to more email later.

-Edwin