xml-general mailing list archives

From "Ted Leung" <twle...@sauria.com>
Subject Re: XRI requirements
Date Sat, 15 Jul 2000 22:02:31 GMT
I'm copying this into xerces-j-dev so that we can get general cleaned
up and so I can go back to reading only one incredibly busy mailing list.

Let's continue this thread, and all the other XRI threads on xerces-j-dev.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stefano Mazzocchi" <stefano@apache.org>
To: <general@xml.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, July 14, 2000 12:07 PM
Subject: Re: XRI requirements

> > Ed Staub wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, Eric & Duncan.
> >
> > Ted Leung volunteered to work on this with me, and he's a committer.
> > But he's going on vacation, so giving me rights probably makes sense,
> > at least for the time being.
> >
> > I'm collating together a (hopefully) better list, with quotes and
> > hrefs back to the mail archive.
> >
> > Here's an excerpt, for review of structure.  We should have something
> > real checked in tomorrow.
> I'm not in the Xerces Dev team, but I would like to propose commit
> access for Ed.

As a procedural matter, can you propose commit access for Xerces? If so,
can I propose commit access for Cocoon?

> Anyone against this?

I'm not against it, but I do have a concern.  The way that I understand it,
we're supposed to grant commit access after someone has made a series
of contributions.  Granting commit access is the way that we ensure the
quality of our meritocracy.   We've been very lax about doing this (at least
for Xerces) and this laxness has been part of the reason that people are
walking on pins and needles around here.  I think that we need to start
doing a better job of this.

James has already proposed commit access for Ed, and if he didn't I would.
Here's my rationale.  Ed has already posted a version of his requirements
list for XRI.  In my mind that's a significant contribution.  It's not the
nth in
a series of contributions, but each re-posting and editing will be.  So I'm
with that. Given the low number of non-Sun and non-IBM commiters, I want
to increase the number of such committers, but within the bounds of Apache
practice.  Perhaps we need to expand the notion of what someone must
in order to be a committer.

I hate to sound like a lawyer on this -- maybe it's because I've had to deal
with too many lately.  We have very few rules in Apache, but the granting of
comittter access and it's effect on the quality of the meritocracy is a very
important one, perhaps the most important one.  I want to make sure that
everyone believes that we are doing our part to live up to "the Apache way".

So, +1 on commit access on Ed, and a +1 from Duncan.  Stefano also votes
+1, but I don't know if his vote counts (other than I respect his opinion on
matters like this).  Of course, if Ed doesnt' get commit access, then I'll
just commit
stuff for him...