xml-general mailing list archives

From "Joe Polastre" <jpol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What name?
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2000 21:46:24 GMT
From: "Brett McLaughlin" <brett.mclaughlin@lutris.com>
> I just think that the name "Xerces" carries with it some negative
> connotations for /some/ people. I'm not making this up, I swear ;-) I
> get mails about this a lot on JDOM and at Enhydra. Let's just avoid that
> - then when we make it Xerces 2 (if that is what happens), we can clear
> those all away, because people are confident in the newer "code name."

And some people are _uncomfortable_ with the "Spinnaker" name.  [I'm
personally a fan of the old software corporation, 'spinnaker', that made
quality games for systems like the commodore 64]  many other companies use
the word "spinnaker" [as noted by the 46,598 results at google, for
example].  why not choose something completely new and unoffensive =)
something unique.

In honor of the bazaar structure that so many people are touting, why are we
allowing one person to codename this branch?  shouldn't it be a group effort
here?  (yes, I read that James has offered to give up naming the new branch)

> OK, Joe Blow just joined us at IBM, can we get some +1s.

You are probably referring to me (my name is Joe, right?).  I had been
involved with the Xerces-C project for quite a while (assisted in porting it
to wince, other stuff last summer) and just happened to join IBM in late
may.  My contributions were noted in the CVS repository and I received 5
+1s, two or three of which were outside of IBM.  And trust me, I had to
fight with both Dirk and Brian to get my privs.

In the last 3 months, only 2 people that I know of from IBM Cupertino have
received commit privs.  Me on Xerces-C and Jordan on FOP.  And both of us
demonstrated our commitment to the projects as "individuals" [seems to be
the buzz word these days].  Furthermore, both of us are going back to the
world of academia in september, and both of us intend to continue
contributing to the apache project as students (non-IBM employees).  Heck,
who knows, I might actually decide to write some Java code too instead of
just C++! =)

I agree that the situation you describe *has* occurred, but you make it seem
commonplace... which I'm arguing that it is not.  Likewise, sun (or any
other corporate sponsor of the project) which has 3 committers can
essentially vote anyone else in.  And other committers, if warranted, could
have -1'd any IBM'ers that they didn't feel comfortable with in the project
due to lack of demonstrating commitment.

sorry, that's my rant for today...  feel free to flame... grrr...

-Joe
(on behalf of myself)