xml-general mailing list archives

From "Edwin Goei" <Edwin.G...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: What name?
Date Wed, 12 Jul 2000 17:41:29 GMT
"HERRICK, CHUCK (SBCSI)" <CH6898@momail.sbc.com> writes:

> OK, you're wrong. Stand corrected.
> Xerces is not an IBM product. It's an Apache product.
> If you want an IBM product, go get IBM4J. It's still
> available at the IBM Alphaworks site.

Yes, but as I understand it XML4J is based on the current Xerces code so
isn't IBM paying people to work on Xerces to support their product?

Sun is in a different situation.  They would like to put an XML parser in a
future version of the JDK (Java Development Kit, Sun's product).  There is
no constraint here that it must be based on the current Xerces code base.

Other developers are in still different situations, perhaps similar to
Sun's.  For example, people working on JDOM are looking for a parser to
support the JDOM API.  It also does not have to be based on the current
Xerces code.

Still there are a large class of users that don't care about the internals
of Xerces, they just use it as a black box and when problems occur they
report it on xerces-j-dev to get it fixed.  If Xerces fits their need,
great.  I am happy for that.  I'm guessing that this is the category where
most current users fall into.

Part of my job is to help Sun get a parser into a future JDK and the current
code base does not fit my needs.  That is why I would like to try and work
on this new parser, XRI (nee spinnaker).  It might also encourage other
developers to participate and use XRI also.  The goal would be to end up
with a group of developers (not just from IBM or Sun) working on XRI and
come up with a parser that does fit my and other people's needs.  This is
all hypothetical, but I think it's worth a try.

View raw message