xml-general mailing list archives

From "Brian Tol" <bri...@imagegroup.com>
Subject Re: XML Database
Date Fri, 07 Jul 2000 20:22:21 GMT
> Stefano Mazzocchi <stefano@apache.org> wrote:
> > What do you use as a query language?
>
> The W3C is in the process of defining XML Query, which will probably use
> XPath as a base of some form.  I think the best thing would be to start
> with XPath/extended XSLT (a query is more than just a path... it is
> normally also a transformation), and follow the XML Query effort as it
> progresses.
>
> To the larger question of building an XML Database, I've always thought
> that this was a clear and logical next step.  I believe XLink is another
> important part of this puzzle.

Does anyone know of any research that has been done in this area? As I read
this thread I keep having flashbacks to my college database classes and the
original relational database model by E.F. Codd. Are there any theoretical
models for how an XML database will work? I don't really know if we need
one, but I'm curious to see if there is anything out there.

Brian