The .shs extension shows up in Outlook Express when you look at the attachments (not open them, just look at what's attached).  I knew it was an .shs file as soon as I saw that.  I saved it and edited it and looked through the source code.
----- Original Message -----
From: Andrew Paterson
To: ''
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2000 5:55 AM
Subject: RE: DON'T OPEN!! Fw: Jokes

Jonathan Ellard wrote:

> You may be referring to the fact that the file had a .txt.shs
> extension & only the .txt part is visible on some configurations
> of Windows.

Apparently, the SHS extension is not normally visible on *any* configuration of Windows - even if "show all extensions" is set - because it uses a different setting in the registry. The following is from the McAfee Virus Profile:

One significance of this exploitation of SHS files is that it raises awareness to the fact that the extension is not shown, even if a system is configured to "show all files" and "show extensions of known file types".

This is due to a registry entry for Shell Scrap file types:

Users can change this by renaming the entry above from "NeverShowExt" to "AlwaysShowExt". Users can even delete the entry. Once it is modified, user must log off and log back into Windows for the change to take effect.

They also have details of how you can clean it out of your system if you need to do so (sorry, I don't have the URL to hand).

The information contained in this eMail message is intended for the named recipients only.  It may contain privileged and/or confidential information and if you are not the addressee or the person responsible for delivering this to the addressee, you may not copy, distribute or take action in reliance on it.  If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately via eMail or a telephone call.   Any and all personal views and opinions expressed in this eMail message are the sender's own and do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of the company.