xml-general mailing list archives

From Andrew Paterson <andrew.pater...@burnsecs.com>
Subject RE: DON'T OPEN!! Fw: Jokes
Date Thu, 22 Jun 2000 10:55:28 GMT
Jonathan Ellard wrote:

> You may be referring to the fact that the file had a .txt.shs
> extension & only the .txt part is visible on some configurations
> of Windows.

Apparently, the SHS extension is not normally visible on *any* configuration
of Windows - even if "show all extensions" is set - because it uses a
different setting in the registry. The following is from the McAfee Virus
Profile:

<Quotation>
One significance of this exploitation of SHS files is that it raises
awareness to the fact that the extension is not shown, even if a system is
configured to "show all files" and "show extensions of known file types".

This is due to a registry entry for Shell Scrap file types:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ShellScrap
"NeverShowExt"="0"

Users can change this by renaming the entry above from "NeverShowExt" to
"AlwaysShowExt". Users can even delete the entry. Once it is modified, user
must log off and log back into Windows for the change to take effect.
</Quotation>

They also have details of how you can clean it out of your system if you
need to do so (sorry, I don't have the URL to hand).
Andrew.

The information contained in this eMail message is intended for the named
recipients only.  It may contain privileged and/or confidential information
and if you are not the addressee or the person responsible for delivering
this to the addressee, you may not copy, distribute or take action in
reliance on it.  If you have received this message in error, please notify
the sender immediately via eMail or a telephone call.   Any and all personal
views and opinions expressed in this eMail message are the sender's own and
do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of the company.