xml-general mailing list archives

From Michael Mason <...@decisionsoft.com>
Subject Re: cpu usage
Date Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:41:21 GMT
Joseph Shraibman wrote:

> >  Note that Xerces-J takes great pains to avoid the time consuming
> > java.lang.String functions, which are costly in time.  (Notice that they weren't
on your
> > list of high runner functions!)
>
> Actually I told OptimizeIt to ignore the core java classes because
> before it was reporting 90% of the cpu was being taken up by
> java.net.Socket methods (a different part of the program).

Urm, are you sure it's recording CPU cycles spent, rather than time
spent in the function? Socket code blocks for ages waiting for data, but
properly written stuff (as I assume the Xerces socket code is) will
sleep while waiting. Maybe you should check this out, as it could be
throwing off your other results too.

Mike.

--
Mike Mason, Software Engineer
XML Script Development Team                    Office: 44-1865-203192