xml-general mailing list archives

From "K.C. Jones" <kjo...@phoenix-pop.com>
Subject Re: XML-HTML-XHTML-WML-VXML.........**ML
Date Fri, 09 Jun 2000 16:58:37 GMT
[My apologies in advance for continuing to cross-post]

> My doubt is how we can in that generic manner can
> separate content from the presentation? Is it possible to
> use the same content for smalll screen mobile devices,
> desktop browsers and voice browsers?  What are the
> challenges in doing this?

There are at least two layers to this question, and I'd love
to hear more about it.

The first layer is the engineering question, how can this be
done?  Cocoon is the method I'm most familiar with.  It
makes it simple to serve up content styled differently based
on the type of client making the request.  The underlying
use of XSL, Xalan, etc. by cocoon suggests an open ended set
of comparable solutions.  Fine.

But the question is more interesting to me from the UE
perspective.

How does one design a site that effectively addresses UI and
ergonomic requirements of diverse PC, WAP, PDA,
Voice,... clients?  When is it OK to base individual pages
based on a common XML source file?  When do you diverge?
How can one manage sitemaps in a mixed common/ diverged
site?  And would support for multiple client types pose
special globalization requirements for multi-language,
localized sites?

My gut instinct tells me that WAP and PC (& EPOC?) clients
are so different that they probably ought to be served by
different sites in most cases.  But WAP oriented sites might
serve accessibility needs, and aural rendering clients,
pretty well.  But I'd love to hear from anyone that has
done, or attempted, this kind of thing.

Are there any UE or design reference books or articles that
are relevant to this?  Even if they're not specifically XML
oriented?

Cheers,
KC