xml-general mailing list archives

From d.@netnord.dk (Dennis Thrysoe - Netnord A/S)
Subject Performance and thread safety in Xerces
Date Wed, 28 Jun 2000 12:28:07 GMT
Hi,

I have a few questions that I hope somebody can help me shed some light on:

Is the DOM implementation in Xerces 1.0.3 inefficient in some places?

I my concrete case I have some code that calls ElementImpl.getAttribute()
about 320,000 times. This code takes a bit long, and creates a total of
almost 600,000 objects.

Is this a known problem? If it is, is it handlede in newer releases?

The other thing relates to the thread safety of Xerces. I have two seperate
threads parsing two different XML files. Still I seem to get race conditions
on some arrays:

For instance this situation:

(Read/Write Race): Thread1
  read from
<unknown array>
  at
boolean org.apache.xerces.validators.dtd.EntityPool.ensureCapacity(int):160
  and
thread2
  wrote at
void org.apache.xerces.utils.ChunkyCharArray.append(char):88

In my case I get a total of 8 race conditions.

I hope I'm helping, and that I can get helped :)

-dennis