xml-general mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: [QUESTION] Xalan/Xerces: Progress metering during (stylesheet-) processing
Date Tue, 23 May 2000 18:47:09 GMT

chr-roth@gmx.de (Christian Roth) wrote:
> My need
> is now for a progress indicator. Can anyone recommend a way on how to do
> this?

You might try a trace listoner:

http://xml.apache.org/xalan/apidocs/org/apache/xalan/xslt/XSLTEngineImpl.html#addTraceListener(org.apache.xalan.xslt.trace.TraceListener)

This gives you a variety of options for tracing various events.  Not sure
if you can get an informative progress indicator out of it.

> Count nodes in source tree (theDoc) for reference and install a handler
> for startElement() event, incrementing current node counter by one on
> each call. However, it seems that after installing a corresponding
> DocumentHandler via setFormatterListener() or setDocumentHandler() on
> the XSLTProcessor interface, its startElement() method would never get
> called.

setFormatterListener() and setDocumentHandler() are for the result tree,
not the source tree.  For input source tree events, you would have to
derive XSLTEngineImpl, and use it as a DocumentHandler.  I suspect this is
not what you want.

> Any idea on how to determine current processing position without
> pre-reading the source file?

I don't know how you would do this offhand.

-scott