xml-general mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject Re: Read ,Compare the value and do something
Date Mon, 22 May 2000 15:34:18 GMT

Cheun N Chong <cnc99r@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>          1. Pass in a value to the XSL, eg. the current date.

Yes.

>          2. Compare the current date to the <BESTBEFORE> tag value.

Not as a date, since XSLT does not currently have a date type.  You would
have to make an extensions for this.

>          3. Change the <CONDITION> value if it is expired, if not
preserve
>             the value.

You can't change the value of the source tree!  If you are copying the
source to the result, you can certainly filter this value and supply
another value if a given condition is met.

>          Can XSL do "reading the value of <BESTBEFORE> set it to a
> variable" (I have tried to use <xsl:param> and <xsl:variable>) and pass
it
> to another template, eg. pass the <BESTBEFORE> value of <MILK> to the
> <BESTBEFORE> of <PORK>?

I don't really understand the english here, and so can't help you.  XSLT
can bind the value of BESTBEFORE to a variable name.  It can not then
re-bind another value to that same variable name... so-called variables in
XSLT are like "final" variables in Java.

-scott