xml-general mailing list archives

From "Roytman, Alex" <roytm...@peacetech.com>
Subject RE: XMLSerializer performance
Date Tue, 09 May 2000 22:06:56 GMT
Hello Assaf,

Thank you for such a quick reply.

I am using version 1.0.3 and no I do not have
org.apache.xml.serialize.Printer class
I instantiated XMLSerializer directly

I run it on Windows NT with Server HotSpot JVM

I would imagine you've done lots of work to make it fast.
I am switching from Oracle XML to Apache and still have plenty to learn. So
what do I do wrong :-)?

Alex

-----Original Message-----
From: Arkin [mailto:arkin@exoffice.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 09, 2000 5:54 PM
To: general@xml.apache.org
Cc: 'xerces-j-dev@xml.apache.org'
Subject: Re: XMLSerializer performance

We intentionally made the serialiers inefficient so we'll have something
to work on :-)

Seriously, the serializers should be damn optimized with identation off.
In the test cases I run I compare them to println() and I get 100%
overhead, probably 50/50 between the use of SAX events and the
serializer state management. (RedHat 6.0, Sun JDK 1.2.2 with JIT)

Which version of Xerces are you using, or are you using the CVS version?
Do you have a class called org.apache.xml.serialize.Printer?

arkin

"Roytman, Alex" wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > What is the most efficient way (in terms of speed and memory) to
serialize
> > SAX or DOM?
> > I did some performance tests and was very surprised that the
XMLSerializer
> > showed the pretty poor results:
> >
> > Actual time does not matter I would like to show relative times
> >
> > SAX ->        XMLSerializer   -> XML File     5 sec
> > SAX ->        Xalan serializer        -> XML File     2 sec
> > SAX ->        Xalan stylesheet        -> XML File     6 sec
> > Oracle DOM print()    -> XML File     3 sec
> > Oracle Stylesheet     -> XML File     9 sec
> >
> > As you can see XMLSerializer is almost as slow as applying a Xalan
> > stylesheet and 2.5 times slower than Xalan serializer and almost twice
as
> > slow as Oracle serializer. This is with INDENT OFF.
> >
> > May be did something wrong or I suppose to use some other means to
> > serialize my SAX events. In my case I do not need pretty serialization
or
> > serialization to HTML or something else - I need PERFORMANCE.
Serializing