xml-general mailing list archives

From Michal Mosiewicz <m...@interdata.com.pl>
Subject Re: SAX
Date Sat, 13 May 2000 19:28:43 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> [...]
> I don't understand how this would do any good in practice... the parser
> must have to parse in order to skip something. You mean, not calling the
> method?

There is a wrong assumption that it's the parser which is an ultimate
data provider. It is not necessary that any parser exists in the code,
to provide your data. Sometimes it's wiser to provide a SAX event
producer in case when your data is provided from non-file source. As an
example take your own XSP, that may include some code that is executed
during document production.

It may happen that for example you have some <customers> tag, that
contains _code_ providing subelements. It may happen, that during the
processing through stylesheets this tag is never used in the output.
However currently you have no option, you just have to execute the
contained code, and you have to loose some performance for generating
useless event.

-- Mike