xml-general mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Q: SVG Project on xml.apache.org??
Date Fri, 12 May 2000 11:29:40 GMT
Johan 'Spocke' Sörlin wrote:

> Hi!
>
> It would be grait if a SVG adoption was implemented using
> Xerces and integrated with FOP.
>
> Is this going on, does IBM want to give away there SVG Viewer
> source code to Apache group, like they did with the XML4J project??

What a timing :)

In the FOP project we were talking exactly about this. Currently there
are two open source java SVG renderers, one is the IBM one, the other is
CSIRO. Both are good and compliant (note: an SVG renderer doesn't do
much if implemented under Java 2D where all the graphic routines are
already in place. They only have to parse the SVG, create the SVG DOM
and call the right graphic routines for each of the SVG elements...
well, at least for the vector part, bitmaps and filters would be just as
easy when done under JAI)

Anyway, we were going to ask to both IBM and CSIRO about this since it
makes very little sense (at least to me) to have multiple open source
SVG renderers in Java.

We haven't contacted the CSIRO guys yet, but a quick (maybe/no way)
anwser from the IBM folks could be interested to hear.

Mike, do you know anyone in the SVG team?

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.