xml-general mailing list archives

From Rajiv Mordani <Rajiv.Mord...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Proposal to checkin jaxp.jar
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2000 22:50:54 GMT

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Arkin wrote:

> Rajiv Mordani wrote:
> >
> > See my response to Mike's mail and also refer to the JAXP RI license. It
> > isn't the same as the spec license. If you have any further questions
> > please let me know.
>
> The RI license might not be the same as the spec, but it does requires
> compliance with the JAXP specification.
>
> While Apache can "acquire" a JAXP distribution license from Sun and ship
> the JAXP RI, that does not cover other projects/products that must, in
> my understanding of the license, re-acquire the distribution license
> from Sun in order to ship a version of Apache software that contains the
> JAXP RI. That violates the nature of frictionless open source software
> distribution.

The RI license mentions that it is redistributable with your product. So I
don't see the point you are making here?? As for being conformant with
JAXP, isn't a goal to be conformant to standards available???  Also what I
am proposing isn't to distribute the JAXP RI. It is just the javax classes
with xerces implementation of the parser. So it is a product that conforms
to SAX 2.0 beta, DOM Level 2 CR and JAXP 1.0.

I think I am missing something here. Could you explain to me a little more
what is the problem you see in distribution with Open source software??

- Rajiv

> In my opinion considering the nature of the license, users interested in
> JAXP should download it from Sun under the license set forth by Sun on
> the Web site.
>
> arkin
>

> > - Rajiv
> >
> > --