xml-general mailing list archives

From Rajiv Mordani <Rajiv.Mord...@eng.sun.com>
Subject Re: Proposal to checkin jaxp.jar
Date Tue, 25 Apr 2000 17:40:36 GMT
The spec license says something to the effect that you can't implement
javax.xml.parsers.* classes which is included in the jaxp.jar. The RI
license lets you bundle this jar as long as you have an implementation of
it, that's what the license says. Yes the license for the RI is different
from the spec license. So if you check in jaxp.jar and jave Pier's
implementation of the classes in org.apache.xerces.* you are allowed to
redistribute the jaxp.jar file.

Take a look at java.sun.com/xml/download.html and click on one of the
downloads to see the RI license.

--
:wq

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Mike Pogue wrote:

> Ummmm, I vote -1.  The JAXP code was specifically taken *out* of the license-in
> agreement with Sun, because we couldn't get Sun to say that it was OK to
> redistribute it, without being bound by the JAXP spec license (which has some nasty
> parts).  So, rather than hold up everything, we agreed to pull JAXP out of the
> license-in agreement, and work on it separately (which Duncan is doing).

This has nothing to do with that. I am not saying to take the JAXP code,
but to take the jar, which according to the RI license is redistributable.

> Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but this proposal (below) does not actually resolve

> the JAXP spec license issues, and we don't end up with anything more than we have
> with Pier's existing implementation (which already implements JAXP).  I don't
> think we need TWO ambiguous JAXP implementations in the source code base (one
> ambiguous one is too many already! :-)

Acutally what it means is that you don't use Pier's javax.* classes. You
will use his implementation of those factory classes. So you don't have 2
implementations of the javax classes. Instead you use jaxp.jar which
essentially has just those 6 classes in javax and Pier's implementation of
that.

> Alternately, could you provide a pointer to the JAXP RI license (is it different
> from the current JAXP spec license?), so we can check to see whether it's
> different?  If it allows for unlimited redistribution (with no prohibition
> on subsetting/supersetting), then it's a different license, (one that's more
> compatible with open source) and we should take a closer look at it!

Well it does say that you need to have a parser that is compliant with the
spec, which I don't think is too restricting. ;). You can take a look at
the pointer above and if you have any further doubts about the license I
will be more than happy to take your queries and if I can answer them will
do so, or go back to our lawyers to find out more about the clauses you
are concerned about.

- Rajiv