xml-general mailing list archives

From Guy Hulbert <...@bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca>
Subject Re: AW: Reverse XSL:FO
Date Wed, 26 Apr 2000 16:03:01 GMT
On Wed, 26 Apr 2000, Andrzej Dmoch wrote:

	<snip>

AD> I don't agree with you. Coding in XML is one thing. Transforming to PDF

What do you mean "agree".  Postscript (and PDF, I presume) is a programming
language.  XML is not.  To get something equivalent to postscript you would
need XML, a DTD, a stylesheet PLUS something else.  For example, you can
write a postscript file which will display a mandelbrot set by computing
all the points in it.  Possibly XSL is this powerful.  I understand that CSS
is not (Jon Bosak published a commentary to this effect).

AD> isomorfic format from XSL:FO using XSLT written once by someone is second

So, it's not a simple matter of "transforming to PDF".  It can't be isomorphic
in the mathematical sense because the functionality is not equivalent.

AD> thing.
AD> Beside that you can hack the stylesheet as you like.

But within the limitations of the particular stylesheet specification.  I
understand that CSS can't even number sections.

AD> Andrzej

	<snip>

----
Guy Hulbert, Project Manager		Bioinformatics Supercomputing Centre
(416) 813-8876				555 University Avenue
email: guy@bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca	The Hospital for Sick Children
http:  www.bioinfo.sickkids.on.ca	Toronto, ON, M5G 1X8, CANADA.