xml-general mailing list archives

From "Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus" <Scott_B...@lotus.com>
Subject RE: What parsers for?
Date Mon, 10 Apr 2000 17:27:38 GMT

Um... XML4J is not a transformation engine, it's a parser.

XML4J wraps Xerces, and is a XML parser that produces SAX (Simple API for
Java) events or a DOM (Document Object Model) tree.

LotusXSL wraps Xalan, is a XSLT processor, and transforms SAX events or DOM
trees into modified SAX events or DOM trees.

Try http://metalab.unc.edu/xml/books/bible/updates/14.html, and
http://www.brics.dk/~amoeller/XML/index.html.

-scott

                    "Ben Ingrassia"

                    <benedict1@intera        To:     <general@xml.apache.org>

                    ccess.com>               cc:     (bcc: Scott Boag/CAM/Lotus)

                                             Subject:     RE: What parsers for?

                    04/10/2000 12:06

                    PM

                    Please respond to

                    general

Gentlemen:
XSL Parsers, such as IBM's XML4J & LotusXSL are tools for transforming XML
code from one platform standard to another.  In XML, the individual makes
up
their own platform-specific markup tags, so there needs to be a methodology
for transforming one "flavor of the koolaid" into another.  That's what XSL
Transformation Engines, like  IBM's XML4J & LotusXSL do.

All the best,

Ben Ingrassia
SPS Global eBusiness Solutions
benedict1@interaccess.com